-
Advertorial
-
FOCUS
-
Guide
-
Lifestyle
-
Tech and Vogue
-
TechandScience
-
CHTF Special
-
Nanhan
-
Futian Today
-
Hit Bravo
-
Special Report
-
Junior Journalist Program
-
World Economy
-
Opinion
-
Diversions
-
Hotels
-
Movies
-
People
-
Person of the week
-
Weekend
-
Photo Highlights
-
Currency Focus
-
Kaleidoscope
-
Tech and Science
-
News Picks
-
Yes Teens
-
Fun
-
Budding Writers
-
Campus
-
Glamour
-
News
-
Digital Paper
-
Food drink
-
Majors_Forum
-
Speak Shenzhen
-
Business_Markets
-
Shopping
-
Travel
-
Restaurants
-
Hotels
-
Investment
-
Yearend Review
-
In depth
-
Leisure Highlights
-
Sports
-
World
-
QINGDAO TODAY
-
Entertainment
-
Business
-
Markets
-
Culture
-
China
-
Shenzhen
-
Important news
在线翻译:
szdaily -> Lifestyle
Deadly plants you might have at home

    2017-June-9  08:53    Shenzhen Daily

THESE plants may look pretty, but if you have children or pets around the house, it would be wise to keep them out of your door.

Purple hydrangea

We’re not saying you can’t keep them, but watch children and pets closely. They might get sick or worse from eating these leaves and flowers.

Foxglove

Don’t let the pretty colors fool you. These bell-shaped blooms and their berries entice kids, but contain a compound used for treating heart failure. Eating them is like taking an unregulated dose of heart medicine.

Rhubarb

The garden vegetable’s stems make for delicious pies, but don’t try using leaves. Eating too much will shut down the kidneys, occasionally proving fatal.

Wisteria

Thankfully this climbing vine rarely harms humans, but the seed pods are toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Head to the vet if your furry friends develop symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea.

Dieffenbachia

Also known as dumb cane and elephant ear, this popular houseplant can become deadly if ingested, causing the airways to swell shut. Even brushing against it can cause burning or itching.

Lilies

While they’re most popular around Easter, lilies in the Hemerocallis genus endanger cats even after spring. That includes common tiger and daylily varieties. Eating just a small amount can lead to acute kidney failure or death.

Daffodil

The bulbs are the most poisonous part of these so-called friendly flowers, so you might think twice about planting them if you have a dog who likes to dig. Ingesting too much could cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors and cardiac arrhythmia.

Rhododendron

and Azalea

These beautiful blooms look picture-perfect peeking out over a white picket fence. But the entire plant is highly toxic — ingesting a flower, stem or leaf could lead to abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, paralysis, coma and even death.

Water hemlock

These small white flowers might appear in your garden as weeds, and if you have curious pets, you should remove them. White hemlock’s toxin (which smells like carrot) attacks the nervous system, and can cause serious harm to animals and humans.

Oleander

Eating only a small part of this plant (flowers in white, pink or red) can be fatal — in one case, just one leaf was enough to harm a child. Symptoms of poisoning include drowsiness, slowed heart rate and shaking.

(SD-Agencies)

深圳报业集团版权所有, 未经授权禁止复制; Copyright 2010, All Rights Reserved.
Shenzhen Daily E-mail:szdaily@szszd.com.cn